Blackmagic have finally announced the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K which I have spoken about for the past 4 months. Back in 2013 when the original pocket cinema camera came out it was amazed at how much power it packed in such a small body and judging by what specs are listed for the new 4K one the 4K version will be no exception.
I was so close to jumping to a Fujifilm XH-1 but this new Blackmagic camera will be our next 4K best for Gear Seekers.
Okay thats enough of me fanning out lets talk about what it can do. 4K 60fps at 10bit ProRes or wait for it 12bit RAW. Let that sink in 12 bit RAW. It also sports an active Micro Four Thirds mount which is amazing because we have loads of MFT lenses as well as a couple Metabones speedboosters. Not only that, it has a proper Micro Four Thirds sensor as well.
The new sensor is capable of dual native ISO much like the Panasonic Lumix GH5S with a maximum sensitivity of 25600 ISO and apparently the low light performance is amazing.
You can record your 10bit ProRes or 12bit CinemaDNG RAW to either SD Card or CFast 2.0 cards but here is the really really cool thing. Because it uses USB Type C you can actually plug your USB-C SSD into the camera and record directly to that! You don’t even have to technically transfer files to your editing machine anymore.
The rear of the cameras has a super bright 5 inch touchscreen that will make it easy to frame your subjects and fine-tune your focusing but the screen doesn’t tilt or rotate. This is not an issue with the way we will be using it but some people might care. There is no mention of auto focus performance but who cares. Its a cinema camera. Use manual focus.
As for audio features it has multiple built in microphones, mini xlr input with 48 volts of phantom power and a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack connector.
Whens it coming and how much is it?
It’s scheduled for release in September 2018 for a stupidly low price of approx $1300USD. That price includes a license for Davinci Sesolve Studio as well.
This is the Blackmagic we’ve always wanted so I guess its the Blackmagic that we will be getting.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema CameraÂ 4KÂ Features
- Full size 4/3 sized sensor with native 4096 x 2160 resolution sizedÂ sensor.
- 4K/60p and windowed 120fps in Full HD
- MFT mount â€“ active â€“ can use Speed Boosters
- 13 Stops DR (claimed)
- Dual Native ISO /Max ISO â€“Â 25600 for enhanced low lightÂ performance.
- Lightweight Carbon fibre polycarbonate composite body
- Multi function grip (a la DSLR) for quick access to:
- recording start/stop,
- still photos,
- ISO, shutter, aperture,
- white balance, power andÂ more.
- Built in SD, UHS-II and CFast cardÂ recorders.
- USB-C expansion port
- Can Record Directly to an external SSD or flashÂ disk.
- 10-bit ProRes and 12 bitÂ Raw
- No ProRes Raw (not yet at least)
- Full size HDMI output for monitoring
- Mini XLR input with 48 volts of phantom power
- 3.5mm audio jack, headphone jack, and locking DC 12 volt powerÂ connection.
- Built in 5â€� LCD touchscreen
- 3D LUTs can be applied for both monitoring andÂ recording.
- Uses Canon LP-E6 batteries for improved battery performance
- Blackmagic OS as used in URSA Mini and URSA BroadcastÂ cameras.
- 4th generation Blackmagic Color Science.
- Supports remote camera control viaÂ Bluetooth.
- Includes full license for DaVinci Resolve Studio
- Price:Â $1295
- Available: September 2018